How to Remodel a Bathroom in Your House: Tips & Guide
Bathroom remodeling has become one of the most widespread trends. Mainly because older houses were nothing like they are today. Many of them did not even come equipped with showers; instead they just had bath tubs. Maybe you just want to make your bathroom more comfortable, or maybe you have a small emergency issue that needs to be addressed. To help you save money on plumbing mistakes, we have outlined tips on how to properly remodel a bathroom in your house.
Bathroom Remodeling Basics
If you are remodeling your bathroom to fix damage from a broken pipe, follow the steps below to prevent additional water leaks and damage in your home:
- Turn off the water immediately.
- Turn your electricity off as well. This will prevent the water from ruining your electrical wiring and circuitry.
- Now you can start cleaning up while you wait for your plumber and/or electrician to come.
Why It’s Important to Replace Old Pipes During a Bathroom Remodel
After you have gotten your busted pipes under control it may be time to plan on re-piping your bathroom. Busted pipes are not the only reason to have to re-pipe. You may just have bad pipes or fittings which will require you to bypass or completely replace all of them. Re-piping is the only way to fix any problem permanently. If you do not re-pipe while you are remodeling your bathroom, you will have the same issues over and over.
Factors to Consider Prior to Choosing New Tile
Having to replace tiling is also an issue you will face throughout the remodeling process. This is a minor and fairly easy task to complete, and changing your tile can have a dramatic effect on your bathroom. Remodeling a bathroom with ceramic tile or natural stone can change the whole tone of the enclosure. What type of tiling you should choose will depend on what type of shower is in your bathroom or the type you will decide to have installed. Mainly, if you have a steam shower you should never use natural stone. The steam from the shower will most likely cause algae to form inside the stone.
A Step-By-Step Bathroom Remodel Checklist
You may want to completely remodel your entire bathroom from top to bottom. The good part about this is that you can be the architect and let a professional plumbers know exactly how you dreamed of having your bathroom look. Many factors should be considered and discussed with your plumber prior to starting the bathroom remodeling project to prevent expensive mistakes.
- First and foremost you will need to decide how much you wish to spend on the entire project. Contact a plumber to get a quote and take it from there.
- Since you are completely remodeling your bathroom, it is important to basically start over. You will want to get rid of everything and start from scratch, so there are no issues underneath that you will not be able to notice on the surface.
- Discuss the design plan with a licensed plumber to ensure they will know how to remodel your bathroom in a cohesive way that matches other ares of your home. This is the time to discuss what type of shower, bath, sinks, or toilet you want. Do you want a modern feel, a futuristic feel, or that good old fashioned feel to your bathroom?
- You will also want to design your cabinets and shelving space. Your contractor will give you suggestions as to what’s best, but the final say in the design is up to you.
- Lighting doesn’t seem like a big decision, but the lighting designs you choose can drastically add or detract from your bathroom remodeling job. Nobody wants to get ready in the morning in an overly bright or dark bathroom, so the perfect lighting scheme can complement the bathroom remodeling process perfectly.
- After the main components of the bathroom are decided, it will be time to go over any accessories you would like to add as well as the ventilation system. Once this is all done it will be time for the big clean up and enjoying your newly remodeled bathroom.
Plumbing Repair, Tune-Up, & Installation Services Near You
It is common to become frustrated when faced with an emergency plumbing situation, or when deciding to remodel your entire bathroom. If you need assistance fixing a pipe or installing a new bathroom sink, give our team a call by phone at (904) 724-2455 or book an appointment on our site. The team of licensed plumbers at Fenwick Home Services also provide other types of plumbing solutions including water softener repair, water line installation, water heater replacement, and sewer repair. Fenwick Home Services provides dependable plumbing services in Jacksonville and other areas of Florida.