At any time, we can develop an issue with our plumbing and pipes. No matter how well our plumbing systems are built and maintained, a problem is an eventuality we all have to be prepared for. It can happen at the most inconvenient of times; it seems like it always happens during an important family function or holiday. However, there may be something you can do to remedy the situation with calling for expert help.
If you find your plumbing needs a little assistance, think of these helpful tips before you your plumber:
1. Avoid pouring oil and grease down your drain. Grease and oil will solidify inside your pipes and drains, effectively blocking them. Hot water and dish washing liquid may help, or a quick round with the plunger might break your clog loose and restore flow to your drains.
2. Avoid putting certain materials into your garbage disposal. Garbage disposals were designed with a specific goal in mind. Some objects, like metals and glass, bones, animal fats and skin, and grease will cause malfunctions and clogs, and may even break your disposal. Toss these items in the trash instead and save yourself a future headache.
3. Be careful what you flush. Some paper products, such as paper towels and sanitary napkins, are not made to be flushed, and will almost certainly cause a clog. In fact, if you have a guest bathroom, avoid leaving these items for visitors as the guest bathroom always seems to clog this way.
4. Avoid using chemical drain cleaners or clog removers. Chemical clog removers may be able to restore flow to your drains, but they can also cause irreparable harm to your pipes and septic system, not to mention the effects these chemicals can have on our environment and personal health. Use a plunger or hot water and dishwashing liquid to try and open your drains back up.
5. Remove mineral deposits. If you notice one of your faucets is showing signs of low pressure, fill a sandwich baggie with white vinegar and put it over the faucet so it is immersed in the vinegar. Leave it overnight, and it should remove and deposits and restore your water pressure safely and cheaply.
Prevention is worth a pound of cure, so keeping your system properly maintained is important to ensure your system operates flawlessly. If a problem does come up that one of these simple solutions won’t help, then an experienced and knowledgeable plumber can assist you in returning your system to tip top shape in no time at all.
Fenwick Home Services Company founded and built with the mission to provide quality service combined with ethics and better business standards, which changed the plumbing industry in Northeast Florida. Give our licensed plumbers a call for all your plumbing needs!