Not all plumbing repairs require the need of a plumbing professional. There are times a repair can be done by anybody who is comfortable with minimal tools and expertise. The trick is knowing when to try the repair yourself and when to call a professional. The allure of being a DIY-er is saving money and the satisfaction of having done the job yourself. However, if you make a mistake, then any damage may cost more than you would have realized in the savings. Here are a few guidelines to help you determine what jobs you can do yourself and when you should call a 24 hr plumbers Jacksonville.
4 Easy Jobs That Keep Money In Your Pocket
- Clearing drains is usually a problem you can take care of yourself. A plunger used for the backed-up drain will typically clear the plug. If the drain is backing up quickly, the problem might be in the trap. The trap is the lowest bent pipe directly underneath the sink. Some of them have clean outs that can be removed but if there isn’t one it can be removed with a wrench, cleaned out, and re-installed.
- Unplugging toilets isn’t the most pleasant task, but it can be done by the homeowner. The first step is to use a plunger, and if that doesn’t work, you can use an inexpensive auger (also called a “snake”) to try and clear the plug. If both of those don’t work, it’s time to call 24 hr plumbers in Jacksonville.
- If your shower head seems to have a decreased water flow, then it’s probably time to clean off the limescale. This can be done by removing the shower head from the stem and soaking it in a descaling solution. Follow the directions on the descaling solution bottle to see how long it should be soaked.
- Getting rid of unwanted spray from sink faucets can be done by removing the aerator from the faucet and cleaning it out. Deposits from the pipe and water can get into the aerator and cause decreased water flow and spray all over you. The aerator is the piece that screws on to the end of the faucet where the water comes out.
Call The Plumber!
- A plumber should handle any job that requires a permit. New faucets, moving existing faucets and rerouting pipes usually require permits. A professional plumber will know what the building code requires and will be familiar with how to obtain permits.
- Mainline stoppages cause all of the drains in your house to slow or stop in the draining process. These are best cleared by trained plumbers because they have the specialized tools and knowledge of how to quickly open the blockage. This type of stoppage has to be fixed immediately or the house will be unsafe to live in, so call to 24 hr plumbers Jacksonville should be your first step.
- Shower valves that need to be replaced can be tricky because of their location and the way they should be installed. This is a job best handled by a plumber.
- Replacing a water heater involves moving heavy items, piping, and may require a permit. All of these are signs you should call 24 hr plumbers Jacksonville.
- Replacing major fixtures such as tubs and sinks can be tricky and may require some changes to the structure of your wall and piping in the house. This is usually beyond the capabilities of most homeowners.
- Bathroom remodels usually require permits and might involve replacing damaged pipes or rerouting them for the new design. Experienced plumbers should do this work because of the special knowledge and tools required to do the job right.
Professional Plumbers are a Simple Phone call Away
Local 24-hour plumbers are available in Jacksonville for both your emergency and non-emergency plumbing needs. Fenwick Home Services been faithfully serving Jacksonville residents since 1969 and have built a loyal following from our customers through hard work and honest prices. We have professional plumbers with fully-equipped and stocked trucks who will give your reliable advice and pricing.