Most people think of spring cleaning as a little dusting and some reorganizing. However, HVAC maintenance should be a part of everyone’s spring cleaning checklist.
Table of Contents
The benefits of HVAC spring cleaning are numerous and significant. Plus, it is relatively easy to do. This article will explore why HVAC maintenance is important and what to do about it.
Why HVAC Maintenance Is Important
HVAC maintenance can feel a little silly sometimes. After all, it means working to improve something that may already be working just fine.
However, HVAC spring maintenance is critical to owning an HVAC system. A little maintenance now and then helps prevent problems and keep the system running right. This means everything from reducing energy bills to helping to improve air quality.
Ultimately, HVAC spring cleaning is important because it leads to the following:
- Longer lifespan: A well-maintained HVAC system will last longer. The system itself should last for years and years. However, a system forced to run without maintenance will have to work harder. This can cause it to burn out years quicker than it should. Proper maintenance is key to getting the most out of an HVAC system’s life.
- Cost saving: HVAC systems can experience problems that prevent them from running as well as they should. Inefficiencies like this will cause the system to use more energy to perform the same job. These problems don’t just resolve themselves; they are only fixed when maintenance is performed. So, maintenance can keep an HVAC system running at peak efficiency.
- Maintains warranties: In many cases, warranties require maintenance to be performed on a regular basis. Otherwise, the warranty will not cover the costs when something goes wrong.
- Air quality: When an HVAC system is improperly maintained, it doesn’t do the job it should. This means that it may not filter air the way it should. This will reduce indoor air quality.
- Prevents serious problems: In some cases, HVAC systems can develop serious and harmful problems. Some of these will damage the system, leading to problems with the furnace or even complete breakdowns. Others will hurt the people living in the home, as gas leaks and exposure to carbon monoxide are possibilities.
HVAC Tasks to Include in Spring Cleaning
Some tasks to include on every spring HVAC maintenance checklist are:
- Change filters: HVAC filters need to be changed regularly. If they aren’t, they can affect the entire system’s operation. Luckily, changing filters is easy. Doing so involves removing the old filter and swapping in a brand new one.
- Clean the vents: Over time, dust and debris will build up in the ducts and vents of an HVAC system. This needs to be cleaned before it becomes a problem. You can do this yourself by vacuuming the ducts. You can also hire a professional duct cleaning service for in-depth cleaning.
- Check the thermostat: The thermostat controls the system and should be healthy. You can check it to ensure it is operating correctly by changing the settings and ensuring the system responds. If it doesn’t, you have the opportunity to seek out AC repair before the heat of summer hits. You can also replace the batteries to ensure the thermostat doesn’t randomly fail.
- Clear outdoor systems: Most HVAC systems have outdoor elements. Cleaning up the dirt and plant matter around these will keep them from clogging. While in this area, gently hosing off the HVAC coil and condenser is also a good idea.
Does Your System Need a Tune-Up?
While anyone can do some HVAC spring cleaning tips, tricks, and activities, some are more intense and must be done by a professional. Professional HVAC tune-ups are essential to keeping any system running well.
What Is a Tune-Up?
A tune-up involves a professional coming to look at an HVAC system. They will check the system and look for any opportunities for improvement. If they find any, they will provide heating and air conditioning services as the homeowner sees fit.
When to Get One
Most people need to have their AC system maintained in this way about once each year. This keeps the system running well in most cases.
However, if you live in a location that is harder on the system, you can always schedule more tune-ups than this. For example, most Florida residents use their AC a lot. So, to keep things running well, they may want to schedule an AC tune-up twice a year.
Why Choose Fenwick
When looking for HVAC maintenance and tune-ups, look for Fenwick Home Services. We offer a range of tune-up and repair services that are sure to keep your HVAC system running smoothly. This will improve the life of your system, improve indoor air quality, and generally keep your HVAC system from developing problems.
We offer our services with a level of professionalism that we believe to be unmatched. Our level of service is great, our customers get a money-back guarantee, no-surprise pricing, and much more. With Fenwick, you don’t have to worry about anything.